committed to collaborating with the event industry to accelerate sustainability best practices.
“Over the last decade, MCI has more than doubled in size and in number of events organised and communities managed annually. This has not only given us a great opportunity, but frankly also a great responsibility, to influence how events and communities impact society in a responsible and socially acceptable way.
Clearly our industry has a key role to play to achieve the 2030 UN Sustainable Development Agenda and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In line with SDG #17 “Partnership for the Goals”, we have taken an active role in our industry, lobbying for sustainability in events. MCI has been involved in developing several industry standards, accompanied governments with the implementation of sustainability standards and partnered in the development of the Global Destination Sustainability Index.
MCI representatives occupy prominent positions within event industry associations, enabling us to share our sustainability vision and knowledge with a wide audience, and creating opportunities to collaborate and contribute to education and initiatives that accelerate best practices across the industry and globe.”
Jurriaen Sleijster, President and COO.
Creating Sustainable Destinations
Global Destination Sustainability Index
A key pillar of organising events more sustainably is the ability of the hosting city or destination to offer an ecosystem of sustainable services and infrastructure.
To accelerate this action, MCI, together with leading event industry organisations: IMEX, European Cities Marketing ICCA and ICCA’s Scandinavian Chapter, launched the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index).
This collaborative platform promotes the sustainable growth of international meetings and events destinations, highlighting best practice and responsible business tourism. The GDS-Index brings cities together to benchmark and to improve the social and environmental performance of their town and its business events industry.
More information is available on www.gds-index.com
Being at the forefront of the latest industry developments and sustainability trends, MCI can play an active role in encouraging clients, partners, suppliers, competitors and governments to commit to adopting a higher standard of sustainable business practices within the industry.
- Since 2007, MCI leaders have delivered close to 300 keynote sessions and workshops on sustainability, inspiring change and better business practices reaching over 38,200 people in the meetings industry.
- MCI experts assisted in the development of various learning resources or sustainability initiatives in the events industry; the most recent one being the Events Industry Sustainability Principles (by the Events Industry Council), of which MCI is a launching signatory.
- MCI is committed to making a real change in our industry and supports IAPCO’s Plastics Pledge to rid get rid of single-use plastic.
- In 2019, we launched the campaign #ItStartsWithUs in our internal and external communications channels. Every month we shared concrete tips to encourage responsible practices among all our stakeholders. Monthly themes included Food & Beverage, ICT, Transports, AV, Marketing (see some examples on the right).
The goal was to raise awareness on the small actions that, when applied collectively, make a big difference.
Key global associations we are members of include:
- THE AMC INSTITUTE
- ASAE (The Center for Association Leadership)
- ESAE (European Society of Association Executives)
- GSTC (Global Sustainable Tourism Council)
- GMIC (Green Meeting Industry Council)
- IAPCO (International Association of Professional Congress Organisers
- ICCA (International Congress and Convention Association)
- ISITE (International SITE Foundation)
- SITE (Society of International Travel Executives)
- MPI (Meeting Professionals International)
- PCMA (Professional Conference Management Association)
- SAMA (Strategic Account Management Association)
- FICP (Financial & Insurance Conference Planners)
- JMIC (Joint Meetings Industry Council)
- CRN (Congress Rental Network)
- AV Alliance
- AGES (Association of Global Event Suppliers)