Committed to collaborating with the event industry to accelerate sustainability best practices.
“In 2018, event industry associations have launched some inspiring initiatives to promote sustainability practices. Clearly our industry has a key role to play to demonstrate positive environmental and societal impacts and to help achieving the 2030 UN Sustainable Development Agenda and 17 Sustainable Development Goals. At MCI, we believe that we are part of the solution and can lead the transition to a more sustainable global economy.
Representatives of MCI occupy prominent positions within event industry associations, enabling us to share our sustainability vision and knowledge with a wide audience, and creating opportunities to collaborate and contribute to education and initiatives that accelerate best practices across the industry and globe.”
Jurriaen Sleijster, President and COO.
Creating Sustainable Destinations
Global Destination Sustainability Index
A key pillar of organising events more sustainable is the ability of the hosting city or destination to offer an eco-system of sustainable services and infrastructure.
To accelerate this action, MCI together with leading event industry organisations: IMEX, European Cities Marketing ICCA and ICCA’s Scandinavian Chapter, launched the Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-Index).
This collaborative platform promotes the sustainable growth of international meetings and events destinations, highlighting best practice and responsible business tourism. The GDS-Index brings cities together to benchmark and improve the social and environmental performance of their city and its business events industry.
The GDS-Index recently released a its third whitepaper: Creating better places to live, meet & thrive in. This very insightful report highlights five mega trends that have shaped the past year, and which will continue to impact the tourism and events industry. As these trends, from climate change to digitization, present destinations with great risks and opportunities.
More information is available on www.gds-index.com
Being at the forefront of the latest industry developments and sustainability trends, MCI can play an active role in encouraging clients, partners, suppliers, competitors and governments to commit to adopting a higher standard of sustainable business practices within the industry.
- Since 2007, MCI leaders have delivered close to 300 keynote sessions and workshops on sustainability, inspiring change and better business practices reaching over 38,000 people in the meetings industry.
- MCI experts assisted in the development of various learning resources or sustainability initiatives in the events industry; the most recent one being the Events Industry Sustainability Principles (by the Events Industry Council), of which MCI is a launching signatory.
Key global associations we are members of include:
- THE AMC INSTITUTE
- ASAE (The Center for Association Leadership)
- ESAE (European Society of Association Executives)
- GSTC (Global Sustainable Tourism Council)
- GMIC (Green Meeting Industry Council)
- IAPCO (International Association of Professional Congress Organisers
- ICCA (International Congress and Convention Association)
- ISITE (International SITE Foundation)
- SITE (Society of International Travel Executives)
- MPI (Meeting Professionals International)
- PCMA (Professional Conference Management Association)
- SAMA (Strategic Account Management Association)
- FICP (Financial & Insurance Conference Planners)
- JMIC (Joint Meetings Industry Council)
- CRN (Congress Rental Network)
- AV Alliance
- AGES (Association of Global Event Suppliers)