Carbon Emissions

We have reduced the intensity of carbon emissions per talent by 12% since 2010.

87% of MCI’s internal carbon emissions are created by the air travel of our staff, with office energy usage accounting for the remaining 13% of our internal footprint.

32% of our reporting offices run on or purchase renewable energy. We have decoupled carbon emissions increase from economic growth, and want to further reduce our carbon emissions intensity by 20% by 2020. Our goal is to become carbon neutral by 2020. 

Measuring our Emissions

Our internal emissions

Our total greenhouse gas emissions was 6,875 metric tons of CO2 equivalents (tCO2e) in 2016. This equates to 3.67 tCO2e per talent. We have reduced the intensity of carbon emissions per talent by 12% since 2010.

MCI Greenhouse Gas Emissions 2016

Greenhouse Gas SourceCO2CH4N20Total Direct GHGTotal Indirect GHGGrand Total GHG
Metric Tons CO2Metric Tons CO2eMetric Tons CO2eMetric Tons CO2eMetric Tons CO2eMetric Tons CO2e
Air Travel6,6070.3926.2
6,6330
6,633
Land Travel1070.020.06107.6
0107
Office Energy133.20.10.9134.20
134
Total6,8460.527.76,87506,875

Emissions From Client Events

We estimated the 2016 carbon footprint of the events we’ve organised for our clients at 951,846 metric tons CO2e. In 2016, we welcomed over 1.5 million delegates to our events, an increase of around 47,000 delegates compared to 2014. With our client event emissions representing over 99% of our total footprint, they are clearly one of our key material issues.

These Scope 3 Emissions provide one of our key business challenges, as our core services involve bringing people together and transporting people around the world- a major cause of carbon emissions.

To reduce these client-created emissions we need to constantly innovate actions to offer better meeting solution technologies, rethink where we locate events, educate and raise awareness about sustainability within our value chain, and create new services to help our clients. This is driving us to focus energy and resources into developing an industry leading digitisation strategy.

Our Carbon Measurement Methodology

Our Greenhouse Gas (GHG) measurement processes follow the 2016 UK Government’s Defra GHG Reporting guidelines and the WRI Greenhouse Gas Protocol. We report using Carbon Dioxide Equivalents CO2e, which account for carbon emissions and other more potentially damaging greenhouse gases (SF6, CO2, CH4, NO2, HFCs, PFCs). Our emissions factors are obtained from Defra (2016).

For more information and to understand our approach to measuring carbon emissions and Scope1, 2, 3 we recommend referring to this publication on Measuring and Reporting Environmental Impacts by UK’s Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. In disagreement with the Defra guidelines, we have decided to not calculate air emissions using a Radiative Forcing Index. Although we fully support the concept, a scientific factor is not yet clearly defined and so we will only adopt in the future when reliable data exists.

From the blog

Read the latest articles from our sustainability blog – “Less Conversation More Action“- where we share frontline views and experiences about sustainability in the Meetings & Events Industry.