A Decade of Dedication
A Decade of Dedication: Our Progress
MCI’s sustainability journey began in 2006 when we organised the European Growth Summit in Barcelona, inviting Al Gore as keynote speaker. Still relatively unknown for his environmental work, ex Vice-President Gore shared his view of an “Inconvenient Truth,” referring to the current state of the planet and future climate change challenges. The MCI board – present at the event – decided that MCI needed to develop and launch a comprehensive sustainability strategy.
Over the last 10 years, we have grown into an internationally recognised sustainability leader in the events industry – both for our internal sustainability programme and for our work with our clients. Here are a few of our highlights since our programme began:
A Timeline of Our Sustainability Journey
- 2007: MCI signed the UN Global Compact and made a public commitment to growing our business responsibly.
- 2008: We launched MCI Sustainability Services – our dedicated consulting practice.
- 2009: We supported the Danish Government to implement and achieve BS8901 Certification for the UN Climate Change Conference, COP 15 in Copenhagen.
- 2010: We won three awards for sustainability and became the event management partner for the UN Global Compact Leaders’ Summit, the Global Reporting Initiative Conference and 16 other leading summits on sustainability.
- 2011: We became an Organisational Stakeholder of the Global Reporting Initiative and released the “Event Sustainability and Safety Tool” to evaluate all of our events.
- 2012: We launched our Sustainability Scorecard programme to benchmark performance across all our operations; organised over 153 events on sustainability and energy; assessed 76% of our events for sustainability and safety risks and won the IMEX-GMIC Green Meeting Award for the first ever event and EU Presidency to be ISO certified
- 2013: We supported the Las Vegas Sands Corporation to achieve ISO20121 certification in Macau & Singapore, and organised over 152 events about sustainability and energy.
- 2014: We organized over 170 events about sustainability and energy; we upgraded our Annual Sustainability Report to GRI G4 Standard with external verification and won the IMEX-GMIC Green Meeting Award for the Responsible Business Forum in Singapore and Green Supplier Award for the Venetian Macau.
- 2015: We acquired Acqua Consulting, a Brazilian event company dedicated to organising environmental events. Our clients were recognised with two IMEX-GMIC Awards for the Marina Bay Sands and the Symantec Vision Symposium.
- 2016: We were awarded the prestigious ‘Project ICARUS Sustainability Gold Medal’ by the GBTA Foundation, the education and research arm of the Global Buiness Travel Association. MCI joined the ranks of an elite group of winners including the Intercontinental Hotels Group, Starwood, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) and British Airways.